Sunday, September 25, 2011

This weekend, Vida Estudiantil Buenos Aires hosted the annual CCVN retreat. CCVN is a leadership retreat for students and professional who are involved in the movement here in Argentina. The Gringos were warned that this was going to be an exhausting weekend as there would be many students and various classes and activities; all of which would be in Spanish. Although the first night was a little frustrating because of the language barrier, I had an amazing time this weekend! I absolutely loved getting to know the students more and meeting the other students and staff members from La Plata!

We started the retreat Friday night and by the end of the night I was frustrated. I wanted to befriend everyone the way I knew how in the states. I kept thinking I didn't know what to say or how to say what I wanted to say. This all lead to a frustrated me who ended up not talking much. When I got home Friday night, I recognized that my exhaustion from Spanish overload was a huge contributor to my irritation. I also recognized that I could not befriend anyone with a bummer attitude and it is going to take more than my own efforts to learn this language. However, the truth is no matter what the language, people are people. It is not a science. Love em. Again, I surrendered over my attitude and expectations to the Lord, asking him to fill me with his Spirit, let me relax, and wake up with a new attitude. Saturday was wonderful! Even with a full day of evangelism training, talking with friends, and going out to the park to share the Gospel, all in Spanish, it was wonderful! I wasn't tired and was truly just enjoying it. Praise the Lord.

One thing I still can't get over is when we had worship. In Spanish. It was beautiful. I had never worshiped in another language. It was amazing to think of all the other countries worshiping in their native language. It really put into perspective God's presence in the world. There truly are people all over the world who have experienced the abundant love of God and can not help but worship him. It was a small room but our voices were loud.

The Lord is at work here in Argentina. My team and I can not wait to see the Lord continue to work through out this next year! Last week we were assigned the campus we would be working on all year. It is only fitting that I can happily report I am on the ag campus. :) I am pumped! The men's movement is really flourishing here but the women's side of things is in need of leaders. This year we are asking God to raise up 7 women who are on fire for Christ and have a desire to lead on the campus. We are also praying that someone on one of the political Groups, Nuevo Espacio, would accept Christ. The political groups have a lot of power on campus so think of the effect it could have if such a strong natural leader were to begin following Christ. If you all would please join us in praying for the Ag campus's women's movement and salvation of students, especially from Nuevo Espacio, that would be wonderful! God is big my friends and his work goes beyond where our daily lives lead us. Join me in praying for those around the globe and here in Argentina.

2 comments:

  1. Lauren, I am so excited for all your adventures!!! I can tell God is molding you like a piece of clay to be he little worker. Remember he is always their. Love you

    ReplyDelete